How do you know that your child has become khaarijee & is preparing to join Daa'ish (ISIS)?
~ Ash-Shaykh Ahmad as-Subay'ee ~
1. He begins to practice the Deen suddenly (without showing any previous signs of interest in practicing & carrying out the rites & obligations of Islaam).
2. He shows concern & dedication towards worship & the Qur'aan, but you don't see him showing concern for true, correct knowledge & the Sunnah.
3. He meets & mixes with people who are not known (to you) or those who are well-known for Takfeer (declaring other Muslims to be disbelievers) from those who manifest "shaykhness" (traits of being a religious authority or person of knowledge).
4. He declares the Muslim ruler to be a kaafir or does not believe that his being the ruler is correct according to the Sharee'ah & (nor does he believe in) the obligation of giving him bay'ah & obeying him.
5. He does not denounce or criticize the jamaa'aat al-Islaamiyyah (the innovated Islaamic political parties & groups), except for their ties to the state (government) & their political activism only.
6. He is not repulsed & disgusted by the sources of Takfeer. Rather he might take from them (as sources of knowledge), like Sayyid Qutb & other than him.
So if you see these signs, knowledge-based or (signs in his) behavior, then begin to talk to him directly & clearly with Sunnah & denouncing & rejecting the bid'ah of khurooj, which is the base & background of the Khawaarij. So if you see from him stubbornness or hardheadedness, then hasten him to some of the students of knowledge who are upon the Sunnah, far away from the (innovated) jamaa'aat, in order to rush in trying to purify him from this bid'ah.
And it is incumbent here that you beware of some affairs that could possibly be a reason for his falling into fitnah & being tried & afflicted. From them:
1. That you put down & criticize his practicing the religion & his striving to carry out acts of obedience & acts of goodness.
2. That you describe him with being too strict in his holding on to the Sunnah of the Messenger صلى الله عليه و على آله و سلم.
3. That you find fault with most of those who are steadfast (in practicing the religion) generally or the like of that, from which he may understand or feel that you don't honor & respect Allaah, nor His Sharee'ah & His prescribed rites, for indeed, that will (only) increase him in evil & fitnah.
4. That you demonstrate to him your faith & goodness of your Islaam, & that you be a good, righteous role model to him. So you accompany him to the congregational prayers in the masjid, & you read the Speech of Allaah, the Qur'aan with Him, & you cooperate with him & help him in doing good (for indeed this will extinguish the spark of bid'ah from him, إن شاء الله).
5. That you remedy the issue like how is described in the clear, apparent ahaadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه و على آله و سلم regarding the Khawaarij & that it is an issue of Sunnah & bid'ah, & Haqq & baatil (don't drag your feet by beginning to approach the issue as some kind of need or a psychological disorder).
And Allaah is the One Asked that He protect us & the Muslims from bid'a & ahwaa', in particularly the bid'ah of the Khawaarij, & that He protect us from evil & fitan.
Rendered into English by Aboo Sufyaan 'Uthmaan Beecher